The best real estate agents will get to know you and your property first before prescribing a best-fitting marketing solution to sell your home.
Here are 21 Questions a Real Estate Agent Should Ask you before prescribing the right solution for your situation and your home:
- What’s the reason for the sale? That is, what’s your ‘BIG Why’?
- What price do you hope to get for your home?
- How did you find your home? (e.g. on the internet, newspaper ad etc)
- What attracted you to your home and made you want to buy it?
- What do you think your buyer will love most about your home?
- Where are you moving to?
- When did you need to be there by and why’s that?
- When do you need to have the funds available from the sale?
- Who else is going to be helping you in making the decision?
- If you’re not 100% committed to the sale as yet, what do you need to do or decide on before you can be 100% committed?
- If your home is on the market now – How long has it been on the market? Why do you think it hasn’t sold?
- What are your biggest concerns (if any) about selling now?
- What possible roadblocks could prevent you from getting ‘The LOVE Price’ for your home?
- How would you like to see your sale proceed?
- What are you looking for in an agent? (If you want ‘The LOVE Price’ you’ll need an agent and agency that offers tailor-made, customised service.)
- How are you going to select an agent?
- Is there anything you don’t want in terms of your relationship and dealings with your agent/agency?
- Is this about saving money or making money? (Read more about this)
- If all agents seem the same (the one-size-fits-all agencies will be very similar), how will you make the decision of who you will list with?
- What do you know about the agents you’ve chosen to interview?
- When are you looking to select your agent by?
What about the questions you need to ask your agent?
How you select your agent can make or break the success of your home selling campaign.
Think of it like interviewing an employee for a very important job. You want to ask great questions that cut through the sales veneer and gets to the truth.
I’ve been asked some great questions by home sellers over the past 20 years. From those I’ve compiled what I think are the best questions a home seller can ask an agent they’re considering to list with. They’re very revealing (read: these questions will make some agents squirm). You can find this comprehensive list of questions in my new book ‘The Love Price’.